10/6/10

The Town


Not every good movie has to be wildly original or terrifically written. Sometimes just a solidly acted, directed and authored formula movie comes along that can be a fun ride. I think this year's The Town falls under that heading. That I was able to write the preceding sentence comes as a bit of a surprise to me since it stars, was co-written, and is directed by the critically reviled Ben Affleck. From the boring Daredevil, to the cheese fest that is Pearl Harbor, to the comically bad Gigli, Affleck has spent much of his career starring in cheaply constructed box office bombs. His recent form has been so bad that people often forget he achieved stardom by co-writing and starring in Good Will Hunting. That is part of why his recent resurgence to artistic respectability is so surprising.

After his directorial debut with the outstanding, but depressing Gone Baby Gone, Affleck moved to far more traditional action fare with The Town. The film tells the story of a crew of bank robbers in a neighborhood of Boston and the FBI agent chasing them. The leader of the crew, played by Affleck, falls for a former hostage, and tries to get out of the game, but his fellow bank robber/best friend, and the local crime boss keep pulling him back in. Meanwhile the FBI agent pursues doggedly and comes ever closer.

The Town is very solidly acted with notable performances from Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm. Career character actors Chris Cooper and Pete Postlethwaite turn in nice cameos. Affleck and the romantic lead, Rebecca Hall, are merely serviceable. What sets the movie apart from others of its ilk, is actually the direction. Affleck creates a believable atmosphere in Boston, keeps a steady and entertaining pace for the film, and spices it up with a few really terrific action sequences sprinkled in. It is in those sequences where he shines with some exciting bank heists and getaways.


Hamm and Affleck facing off as FBI Agent and thief

As Affleck's directing career progresses I find it fascinating to compare his first two movies. Gone Baby Gone is the superior film, but suffers from some inexperience on the part of its director. Affleck was clearly learning on the go as he overemphasizes certain moments and lets the film drag in other areas. The Town on the other hand, is nowhere near the intellectual equal of Gone Baby Gone, but benefits from far more professional direction.

In summary, The Town is an entertaining thriller that could end up being anything from the high point in an underachieving career, all the way to an important step for the next great American director. Either way its worth a watch.

22/30

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was enjoying this review until I got to the middle of the 1st paragraph. How dare you, sir, ridicule Michael Bay and his film Pearl Harbor. Mr. Bay is a visionary filmmaker, perhaps the most accomplished in history. In heaven all movies are Michael Bay movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, I take back my horrendous blasphemy. Have you seen this yet? http://bayifier.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked The Town a lot, and found myself thinking after that Ben Affleck has found his calling: he's a okay actor (I think his real problem is an inability to pick good films to act in; I thought he was very good in "Hollywoodland") is but a terrific director and screenwriter. I didn't think the film had an ounce of fat in it, and the story held my interest throughout. He's now on my list of directors whose films I will definitely see.

    ("Pearl Harbor" - err, let's just say that's 3 hours of viewing time I wish I had back. But then I loved "The Lady Killers," so we all have our soft-in-the-head spot.)

    ReplyDelete