4/7/10

Barton Fink

If you're going to watch a Coen Brothers movie, you have to know what you're in for. Unless you're watching one of their more mainstream films, preparing yourself for a bizarre, metaphorical, and perhaps inconclusive ride is a good idea. If you're not expecting the typical exposition, conflict, and resolution of most movies, a Coen Brothers film can be an extremely refreshing break from the usual fare. Barton Fink is no different.

Barton Fink's story starts out simply enough. Fink (John Turturro) is a Broadway play write in New York who has just released a critically and commercially admired play. He then receives an offer he can't refuse: to make gobs of money in L.A. writing for the pictures. The transition isn't easy on Fink. There's his gregarious neighbor, Charlie (John Goodman), new bosses with strange business mentalities, and Fink's inconvenient case of writers block. The end of the film turns into a bizarre, abstract look inside a confused writer's head.

It has been suggested that Barton Fink is the Coen Brother's most personal film (though A Serious Man may have supplanted it). It provides an interesting take on the process of writing, and the delusions it places on a man who clearly has a skewed vision of himself. Barton Fink certainly has the Coen's pedigree: a meticulous script, beautiful cinematography courtesy of Roger Deakins, and terrific acting. The scenes between Turturro and Goodman are both engaging and hilarious; providing wonderful insight into the characters. The film's end doesn't resolve much at first glance, however I still found it extremely satisfying. As reality blends with the surreal, the powerful final scenes give you much to think about after the credits roll.

26/30

10 comments:

  1. Roger Deakins is so perfect for the Coen Brothers. He has done so many films for them that their styles just seem to intertwine. I've been flirting with the idea of doing profiles for actors, directors, cinematographers...etc. I'd like to know what you think, and if we decide to go for it, Roger Deakins might be a prime candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deakins would be an excellent starting point! I love his films. I loved seeing his work in A Serious Man after he missed out on Burn After Reading.

    Another great candidate is Conrad Hall. He's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! I knew he was American Beauty but the rest of his resume is incredible. Yeah, he'd be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe an actor profile on Jeff Bridges. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am making a list of movies I need to watch from this site. I may be your biggest fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too hope to one day be "commercially admired."

    Also, this blog is the bee's knees, and I need to see this movie again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe this blog is wishing it was commercially admired at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, fans! You're what keeps this blog afloat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I know I HAVE to see this film (I'm a huge Coen Bros fan, as you know, given that you heckle me for being the only person on the planet who thought "The Lady Killers" was hilarious enough to see in the theater 4 times, plus buy the DVD).

    To get more readers - have you thought about how to make the blog show up in more searches, to bring more people here?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure how all that works. I'm looking through the options right now but I'm not really sure how that all works.

    Honestly I'm just having fun talking about movies with my friends. But more readers could be fun.

    ReplyDelete