1/26/11

And the nominees are...

Yesterday the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released the nominees for their 83rd annual Academy Award show, better known as the Oscars. Now, I know the Oscars aren't perfect (see my post on The Blind Side if you don't believe me), but despite working in an entirely subjective area, they provide a pretty reasonable foundation for what constitutes great art within the medium of film.

The glitz and glamor can be fun. The history is great. Whoever is hosting usually has an enormous impact on how enjoyable the 3+ hours are (James Franco and Anne Hathaway could be fun), and it is an especially interesting twist that for the first time ever, a host will also be a nominee (Franco for 127 Hours), but the real reason I watch is the debate. So I thought I would open it up here to you guys for some friendly discussion. There is a link to the the full list of nominees at the bottom of the post. Go peruse and let me know what you think. Who got left off, who has no place being included, who should win, who is just receiving a career nomination... etc. So far the biggest stories appear to be the snubs of Christopher Nolan in the Best Director category for Inception, and the documentary Waiting For Superman.
James Franco and Anne Hathaway
In addition, I want to at least float the idea of the possibility of live Routinely Average coverage of the Oscars. I believe I have the technology (or as I call it... magic) all figured out, so there could potentially be some live blogging going on if you are interested. Thoughts and suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Link to list of nominees.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, please!

    PS - Your link to One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest under Movie Ratings didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shani! Just fixed the link. Should be working now. Any thoughts on the Oscar nominations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw most of the Best Picture nominees (only missed Toy Story 3 and Winter's Bone) and would have liked to see The Town in there, too (guess I would have dropped one of the two I didn't see). I agree it was disappointing Christopher Nolan was passed over, and given all the buzz about Waiting for Superman, I thought that was a given (although also haven't seen any of the nominees in that category). I probably wouldn't participate in a live RA, given that I'll be watching the telecast instead. BTW, don't you think it's incredibly weird that the one place they don't show it live (that is, they delay the broadcast) is in California? I guess so everyone has time to fight traffic to get home in time to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam I must say, RA has brought you a long way in the blogging world. Even if no one is going to be here to see it "live," I think doing a live blogging session could be an awesome experience - if only just to see if you could do it.

    Who knows, I may even turn out to argue with you over things I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't done that great on the Best picture candidates. I've missed Toy Story, Winter's Bone, The King's Speech (which I really want to see), and 127 Hours, which I've heard is great.

    As for the live coverage, I'll take whoever I can get Garrett. I'd love to have you come comment. I actually got the basics on how to do it from a class, but this will be slightly more challenging. I do think, if there is one reason I'm really glad I did this, its my budding knowledge of HTML.

    Jan, that is bizarre about California. I would say it has something to do with the time difference, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it is being held there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still missing 127 Hours, The Social Network, The King's Speech, Black Swan, and the Fighter, in that order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed The Social Network but I think it is being slightly overrated. I thought Black Swan was absolutely terrific.

    ReplyDelete